Tuesday, 23 July 2013
how to make festive cake stands
pre-cut circles (I used styrofoam as I had some on hand, but you can use MDF instead for durability)
wooden dowel or ornate pieces of wood in different lengths (think furniture legs)
glue (craft glue or hot glue gun)
tissue paper to match your paint colours
1. Select some paint colours and matching tissue paper
2. Paint the large circles and wooden stand parts and set aside to dry. Once dry assess if you need to apply a second coat
3. Cut strips of tissue paper approximately 2-3 finger widths and accordion fold so that you are left with a rough square. Making sure you don't cut off the folded parts, carefully cut a semi-circle so that when you unfold the tissue paper you are left with a scallop border
4. Glue your wooden bases to the underside of the painted circles
5. Attach the tissue paper scallop border around the top of the stand (the circular part)
6. Stand back, admire and then top with food!
I'd love to see if you make some of these cake stands for your party, so make sure to leave me a comment with a link to some photos!